Are you starting a business in Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Teller County, or the surrounding Pikes Peak Region? Here’s how you can get started!
COS Open for Business
Starting a Business FAQs
1. Where should I start when starting a business in Colorado?
First consult the Colorado Business Resource Book, a basic guide to starting a business in Colorado. 该指南经过定制，包括针对每个单独业务的特定表单和许可信息. If you still have questions, contact the Small Business Navigator at 720.665.7439. Once you have a basic idea about your business, contact the bt365亚洲版官网 nearest you 安排免费一对一的咨询服务，并向提供额外商业咨询和经济发展援助的各种政府援助来源推荐.
2. How do I get a state business license?
科罗拉多州不颁发或要求通用的通用营业执照. 执照是由各个国家机构针对特定类型的业务颁发的, activities and professions.
3. How do I register my business name or set up a legal structure?
To verify if a name is already being used in Colorado, check the Secretary of State website. Corporations, Limited Liability Companies, sole proprietors, 一般伙伴关系和商号登记的组织文件与国务卿(). 在国务卿那里注册商标并不能建立专有权利. However, 以业主/承办商的姓或名以外的任何名称经营业务时，必须填写表格。. For more information, refer to the Legal Structure chapter of the Colorado Business Resource Book.
4. How do I get a state tax identification number?
5. What is the sales tax rate in Colorado?
The state sales tax rate in Colorado is 2.9%. 但是，销售税也适用于郡、市、特区. 确切的销售税税率是通过将适用于销售交易完成地点的各种税率相加而确定的. The state collects the majority of all sales taxes. However, 有71个“地方自治”城市需要单独的许可，并直接从其管辖范围内的所有销售中收取其所在城市的部分销售税. For more information, click here. The Department of Revenue publishes the Colorado Sales/Use Tax Rates, DRP 1002, which lists the tax rates for all jurisdictions in Colorado. The Colorado Sales Tax chapter of the Colorado Business Resource Book is also available.
6. Where do I obtain workers' compensation insurance in Colorado?
工人补偿保险是通过科罗拉多州的私人保险公司购买的. There is not a state fund. The Colorado Legislature created Pinnacol Assurance (), a non-profit insurance carrier, to sell workers’ comp. It is not, however, a state agency. Many new businesses frequently obtain their workers’ comp through Pinnacol; however, it not required that new business use Pinnacol. 鼓励企业购买最优惠的保险费率和服务，就像购买其他形式的保险一样. Consult directories and speak with other business owners for references. 查阅有关雇主提供工伤赔偿保险责任的资料, contact the Division of Workers’ Compensation () or refer to the Employer Responsibilities chapter of the Colorado Business Resource Book.
7. How much is the unemployment insurance tax in Colorado?
For the majority of employers, the beginning base tax rate is 0.017 plus principle bond rate of 0.0038 for the combined rate of 0.0208 on the first $11,700 of each employee’s annual earnings. 对于从事建筑相关业务的雇主，可能适用不同的计税标准. For more information regarding unemployment insurance, contact the Unemployment Insurance Section () or refer to the Employer Responsibilities chapter of the Colorado Business Resource Book.
8. Where do I get a government grant to start a new business?
Unfortunately, 实际上，无论是州政府还是联邦政府，都无法为创业提供资助. 政府有针对性很强的拨款，但很少用于初创企业. These grants are called Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) grants. SBIR资助通常是由联邦机构颁发的，该机构正在寻求特定领域的研究和开发，包括军事武器开发, biotechnology and other high-tech fields. SBIR Colorado ( ext 201) is a non-profit organization that assists entrepreneurs, scientists and researchers identify SBIR grant opportunities.
9. Where do I apply for a government loan?
绝大多数的政府贷款项目-州和联邦-被称为担保贷款. To apply for these loans, 一企业主联络银行或其他金融机构，向政府申请贷款担保. There are also other forms of private financing for business owners. The Financing Chapter of the Colorado Business Resource Book outlines many of these options. Before speaking to a bank or any seeking any other type of financing, a business owner should realize two important factors:
- It is very difficult to finance new businesses. 新企业的大部分资金来源将来自所有者及其家人和朋友的个人资产. 银行和政府更喜欢在贷款前看到两到三年的经营历史, regardless of the age of a business. While this does not eliminate the possibility of financing, it makes the second factor even more important.
- 一份完整且写得很好的商业计划书对于任何类型的融资都是至关重要的. bt365亚洲版官网中心提供免费的一对一咨询，以帮助企业主撰写他们的商业计划. The Business Plan Chapter of the Colorado Business Resource Book provides a basic outline for writing a business plan.